in

Profits over survival

Profits over survival

Profits over survival

Leave a Reply

Avatar for Anonymous

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings

41 Comments
  1. It’s worth noting 100 companies are “responsible” for 71% of emissions from the initial study is just talking about initial “extraction” of the fossil fuels that lead to those emissions, not the end user. That’s why those 100 companies are all Saudi Aramco, China Coal etc, and NOT Apple or Facebook.
    All the statistic really means is fossil fuels are responsible for around 70% of emissions (the other 30% pretty much being food production), and the fossil fuel extraction industry is super monopolistic, with only 100 or so global main companies.
    It is ultimately a pretty harmful statistic for the environmental movement – you can’t just “fix” 100 companies and be most of the way there, you need full on societal change from government, consumers and producers the world over.

  2. Just wait until the richest people in the world start mining asteroids and use “fossil fuels” from old cemeteries to do it.

  3. I’m probably going to get downvoted for saying this,

    but we have to take into account how businesses are emitting because they can make money off of it. From household consumers (which is all of us in the economy)

    So how do we stop businesses from seeing a reason to emitting?

    – Lowering our demand for their products which emit a lot of CO2 (both on consumption and production) –> results in firms having to switch to more green products or production processes in order to have household consumer continuing to buy their products.

    – Laws (though, I know lobbying in some countries makes this not as effective as it can be)

    Edit: I didn’t get downvoted yay

  4. This post is ridiculous. Most of those companies are energy and fuel companies. So yeah, your SUV, your heated pool and your Amazon delivery van are their direct customers. Sure, the companies “produce” CO2, because you buy their products.

  5. Don’t start with that “it’s their fault not ours” argument, these corporations don’t pollute the environment for the sake of it. They pollute the environment because there is demand for their service or product, who is supplying that demand?

    You are, you are paying these corporations to keep doing what they’re doing.

    You are literally funding these companies. Do you seriously need it spelled out for you?

  6. Well… think of Shell for example. If the consumers used less oil, Shell would have less emissions, since they don’t need to produce so much oil. Large companies have a large amount of emissions since they are as said in the name, large, and need to provide products for a LOT of consumers. Therefore the individuals are partly responssible for the emission of the large companies.

    However, this does not mean that they can’t decrease their emission and should become more environmental friendly, because often they put too little effort in limiting their emissions.

  7. I’ve never understood that mentality, like, you can’t roll around in your money if you are dead

  8. [Fact check says ….](https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/corporations-greenhouse-gas/)

    Nope. Guy who wrote that took it from a study but:

    “The study did not assess all sources of global emissions worldwide (which includes agriculture, transportation, buildings’ heating and cooling systems) but rather only analyzed the output of fossil-fuel  producers, specifically.”

  9. Maybe it’s because individuals demand the goods/services those companies provide? Most of those companies are oil/coal companies, which means they power factories that produce the goods you buy and power your homes…

  10. the personal carbon footprint is a concept made famous by BP (yes the oil BP). i think this says it all…

  11. Individuals buy the product these companies sell. At the end of the day companies exist because people demand for the services and products they produce at the cost of environment. It is 100% fault of people.

  12. But can’t you as a consumer choose which company you want to buy from; and if they aren’t green, don’t support them?

Load more comments